From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 14:28:43 CDT

Dear Ross,
  We have been working on updating the CAVE code in VMD, it got
broken in previous releases. If you would like to test the new
code, I've just put it up for download here:
  ftp://ftp.ks.uiuc.edu/pub/mdscope/vmd/alpha/vmd-1.8a7.bin.IRIX6.opengl.tar.gz

This version still has bugs that we're fixing (thus why it is an
alpha version) but if you would like to test the new CAVE code,
it would be useful for us to know how well it works (or doesn't work)
in your CAVE. It definitely still has a few bugs, but we think we're
getting very close to having them fixed. In particular, you'll see that
text drawn as lines flash chaotically, and line-drawn molecules
also have a flashing effect. I'm hoping to have time to get these last
few problems with the new CAVE code fixed soon. We're also hoping to get
it working with FreeVR, which works on Linux, Suns, and many other
platforms in addition to SGIs.

Anyway, if you try out this alpha version, please let us know how
it works for you, as we're in the middle of developing that code and
can definitely use more feedback on the CAVE-related stuff.

Thanks!!!!