From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 08:52:40 CDT

Dear Patricia,
  The older versions of VMD only export MSMS and Surf surfaces,
try setting the molecular representation to MSMS or Surf and let me
know if you still have trouble getting an exported STL file.
I'm actually adding more functionality to the new version of VMD (1.8) so
that it will export all of the geometry in the scene to the STL file.
If you would like to try a pre-release version of VMD 1.8 with the STL
export feature enhancements, let me know and I'll announce on VMD-L when
we have a pre-release version available for testing.

Thanks,