From: Justin Gullingsrud (justin_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 16:43:48 CDT

I've linked current sources of VMD against Fltk 1.1.0.12b; it works fine,
you just have to have "-lfltk_forms -lfltk" in your link line. The fltk_forms
library will be built (and installed, with make install) in the same place
as the regular fltk library.

Maybe they're trying to get us to update our software? ;-)

Justin

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:01:55PM -0500, John Stone wrote:

> Dear Ionel,
> I'm posting this to VMD-L since you weren't subscribed yet when you
> tried to post, and I think others will benefit from this information as
> well.
>
> The most recent versions of FLTK have migrated the Forms compatbility
> routines out of the main libfltk.a or libfltk.so files, and into a separate
> forms-compatibility library. In order to compile VMD with the bleeding
> edge versions of FLTK, you'll have to link against this new "fltk_forms"
> library that they just added in 1.1.0.b12. Here is the FLTK changelog info
> that mentions this briefly:
> http://www.fltk.org/news.php?V58
>
> We haven't updated VMD to compile against the new FLTK yet, but when we
> do, we'll change the default configure script behavior to use the new
> "fltk_forms" library as well. Until FLTK 1.1.0 gets released though, we'd
> rather stick with VMD's build system assuming the use of stable release
> versions of FLTK.
>
> I looked on the FLTK web site for specific documentation on the location
> and name of the "fltk_forms" library mentioned in the Changelog, but
> have not found anything yet. Since they just made this change in b12,
> I'm guessing that it isn't even in the documentation yet. Its also not
> documented in the 2.0 development docs either, though the same changes
> exists there as well. I'd just suggest looking for all ".a" files
> produced in your tree and see what's there, and link against anything
> resembling that "fltk_forms" library and see if that cures the link problem.
>
> Thanks,
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>
> ----- Forwarded message from owner-vmd-l_at_ks.uiuc.edu -----
> From: "Ionel Vasilescu" <ionel_at_homemail.com>
> Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:40:36 -0500
> Subject: Linking problems to FLTK on Linux
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build VMD on an Intel RedHat 7.1 PC and I already built FLTK (1.1.0b12), but I try to build VMD, I get lots of "undefined reference to `fl_add_button(...)`" [and to many other FLTK methods]. Now, I already added the proper paths to the FLTK include and lib dirs in the Makefile, so I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any idea or suggestion is welcome.
>
> I'm using gcc 2.96-98.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ionel

> http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

Justin Gullingsrud      3111 Beckman Institute
H: (217) 384-4220       I got a million ideas that I ain't even rocked yet...
W: (217) 244-8946       -- Mike D