From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 14:01:36 CST

Dear Phuong,
  VMD isn't really designed to work with structures that have
overlapping or otherwise duplicated atoms. The distance based
search is exactly the reason you're having the problems with the
bonds. It finds phantom bonds from atoms to their duplicates,
among others. If you really want them to overlap like this, but
to have any semblance of correct bonds then you're going to have
to use a PSF file, the distance based search can't do anything
reasonable with duplicated atoms. I don't know why you need to have
these duplicate atoms, but VMD just isn't designed to work with
structures like that. Perhaps you can explain why you need the
duplicates within a single molecule?? You could always load the
duplicates as separate molecules rather than as the same molecule,
which would at least eliminate half of your problems.

Thanks,