From: Andrew Dalke (adalke_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 22:32:38 CST

Sanjeev B.S. <sanjeev_at_mbu.iisc.ernet.in>
> Is it possible, if so how, to select more than one filtering
> codition in the graphics menu?
> i.e.
> If I need chain A I would say 'Chain A' and if I need a residue number N I
> would type 'residue n' (n=N-1). Is it possible to specify both conditions
> together?

Atom selection support full boolean operators. For this example
you could do

   chain A and residue n

You can also use 'or' and 'not' and parenthesis and more. Details are
in the manual, at
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node78.html

By the way, there's a difference between "residue" and "resid." The
first is assigned by VMD, which uses a unique number for each residue
starting from 0. The "resid" is the residue identifier from the PDB
file, so you might instead try

   chain A and resid N

assuming your PDB file numbers residues starting with 1.

                    Andrew Dalke
                    dalke_at_dalkescientific.com