From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 09:31:36 CST

Dear Alan,
  Yes, we have been thinking about this for a while. Our plan is
to design a plugin interface for the scene export and rendering features
in VMD, much like we've done for the structure and trajectory file readers.
Once this system is in place, we will be able to write new scene export
methods much more easily. Molscript is a tricky case, as we won't just
be exporting raw geometry, but more of a high level scene description
along with structure data. So, Molscript is going to end up being one
of the more unique scene export options, but we also feel that it would
be worth implementing. I can't provide an estimate on when we'll have
this implemented, it will depend a lot on how long it takes us to complete
the other features we're already working on, but I'm hoping that it would
be something we could incorporate into VMD 1.8.

Thanks,