From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 12:59:19 CST

Hi,
  We don't have a Windows version that includes Python pre-built
yet, but the newest source contains changes which should allow us to
enable Python in new Windows builds. The previous problems were due to
conflicts with Python and multi-threading which we believe have now
been addressed. The first beta version of VMD 1.8 should have Python
working for the Windows platform. We may be able to release an alpha
version with Python enabled on Windows, but not for at least another
two weeks or so. We'll announce as soon as we have a Windows version
with Python available.

At this point, building your own VMD from source is probably a bit
too tricky to explain via email, since we've recently made major changes
to the source tree and to how VMD is built. We hope to get many of these
things ironed out over the next week or two, for those people building
their own versions of VMD. Let us know if you have more questions on this.
If we come up with a way for you get a Python enabled version faster
than what I mention above, we'll let you know.

Thanks,