From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 18:41:02 CST

Dear Christopher,
  Yes, you can write a script that lets you change coloring as a movie
progresses, though its sometimes a bit tricky to make it fast too..
There's a "beta color" example script in the VMD manual here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node182.html

You could re-color the molecule every frame by doing a Tcl trace
on the active VMD frame, etc. You could also do it by driving
it in a loop with animate goto and setting the colors explicitly.
I think this question has come up enough that perhaps its time for
me to write an easy-to-read example of the various ways of doing
this. Let us know if you need more information about this.
Otherwise, I'll see if I can take some time and write up a nice
example of how to do this.

Thanks,