From: Boaz Shaanan (bshaanan_at_bgumail.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 03:30:25 CST

Dear John,

 Thanks for your message. I'm afraid the error I reported is all my
fault. When I downloaded the openGL version the stereo is fabulous ! by
the way under w2k it's wonderful too. I apologize for the false alarm.
 The setting under linux is thus: RH7.1, summit 2.0 driver from XiG. The
hardware is Oxygen gvx1, Nuvision emitter and glasses. Rotations are fast
and smooth.

The only problem I see is that when I ask to display surface I
get a trimmed surface (not the whole molecule is covered). While there are
some ominous declaration on the monitor it ends up seemingly OK. Here is
what I grab from the monitor:

Reading 647 atoms..done
Probe radius = 1.400
Constructing solvent-accessible surface ..
Max edge length = 1.200
Malloc of zero or illegal length!!
length = 0
Malloc of zero or illegal length!!
length = 0
Total Triangles 34223 Total constraints 20728
Max Neighbors per atom 60 Average Neighbors per atom 32.0371
Surface construction + writing time 1.78 seconds
done
Info) Reading Surf output file...
Info) Read Surf output file, processing geometry...
Info) Done.

 This same surface rendering works OK under w2k (I'm pretty sure but I'l
check again).

 One other proble, that I'm facing is that when I try to load a pdb from
the rcsb I get an error message:

 couldn't open /tmp/urlload

 Am I missing a file ?

    Thanks for your help and I apologize again for thefalse alarm.

            Boaz

 On
Wed, 23 Jan 2002, John Stone
wrote:

> Dear Boaz,
> Can you tell me whether or not VMD gives you some warning/info
> messages regarding stereoscopic rendering when it first starts up?
> You should get an info message that says that stereo either is,
> or is not available when the program first starts. My suspicion
> is that your XiG driver is NOT providing stereo in the display mode
> that you're currently running with, and so VMD is falling back to
> displaying the images in a top/bottom fashion. You'll need to consult
> your XiG docs to determine what video modes support stereoscopic
> rendering. I have yet to see a working XFree86 video driver with
> stereo support on Linux, so if you get it working, you'll be the
> first person I know that has it working. I know that the XiG guys
> have been working on it, but since we don't have their software,
> I'm unaware of their current progress.
>
> Let us know about the startup messages, and we'll proceed from there.
>
> Thanks,
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 02:35:50PM +0200, Boaz Shaanan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running vmd-1.7.1 under linux rh 7.2. The graphics hardware
> > consists of Oxygen gvx1 and Nuvision emiiter + glasses (equivalent to
> > Stereographics/Crystaleyes hardware). I am also using the linux driver
> > developped by XiG (summit 2.0). When I ask for stereo rendering (and
> > press Crystaleyes) I get two images one above the other (as if it was
> > side-by-side view rotated by 90 degrees) instead of the expected two
> > supreimposed images. Has anygody else experienced this with the Oxygen
> > card ? What is the solution ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Boaz
> >

> > Boaz Shaanan, Ph.D.
> > Associate Prof.
> > Dept. of Life Sciences
> > Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
> > Beer-Sheva 84105
> > Israel
> >
> > E-mail:bshaanan_at_bgumail.bgu.ac.il
> > Phone:972-8-647-2220
> > Fax: 972-8-647-2992/646-1710

Boaz Shaanan, Ph.D
Associate Professor Phone:972-8-647-2220
Dept. of Life Sciences Fax: 972-8-647-2992
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev 972-8-646-1710
Beer-Sheva 84105 e-mail:
Israel bshaanan_at_bgumail.bgu.ac.il