From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 09:47:04 CST

Dear Wuwei,
  The errors about stride, surf, and tachyon are due to missing
external programs that we normally provide with our pre-built VMD
binaries. You will need to get and compile those too. The missing
"vmd_IRIX6_64" binary would seem to indicate that your compilation
of VMD itself failed at some point. I'd actually recommend that you
retrieve and install one of our pre-built binary distributions and
save yourself the trouble of compiling all of these things. We do
the builds for you for just this reason. If you really want to build
from source, you'll want to remove the ".SILENT" line from your
Makefile, so that you can better see what went wrong during your
compilation process. If you need more help with this, please let us
know. Oh, and you'll want to do "make" THEN "make install", rather than
just attempting to do make install. You don't want to install until
you're sure that everything got built correctly.

Thanks,