From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 15:02:06 CST

Dear VMD-L,
  I just tested VMD 1.7 and our current development
versions with the most recent driver software from the
3dconnexions, the new company created by Logitech
that owns both the Spaceball and Magellan technologies.
They released a new "unified driver" set for Windows on
October 20th, and I've just tested them with our Windows
version of VMD, and it all works beautifully. The unified
drivers support all models of the Magellan and Spaceball,
including both the USB and serial versions of these
controllers. You can get these new drivers from the
3dconnexions web site here:
  http://www.3dconnexions.com/software/newsoft.html

I simply removed all of the old Spaceball and Magellan
drivers, installed the new ones, and tried them with both
the Spaceball and Magellan, and they autodetected both types
of controller just fine.

There are new Unified Unix drivers out, but I have not yet
had an opportunity to look at those.

Enjoy,