From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 00:21:10 CDT

Hi Kristian,

Here is a list of video boards that we know things about so far:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.6.1/accelerators.html

This table lists which boards we know have stereo, and whether they
work on Linux/NT, and what modes need to be used for stereo or higher
performance rendering.

You'll note that we don't list any of the NVidia cards as having
stereo support. In fact, as you've discovered there are ways to
do stereo with them, but they aren't using the standard OpenGL
mechanisms for doing stereo, so VMD is unaware of the stereo
feature and cannot use it. This may change in the future,
but that's the current situation. If you'd like to see VMD work
on the NVidia hardware, I'd recommend sending mail to your video
board vendor and let them know that you'd like them to implement
stereo in their OpenGL driver.

What contradicting information did you find on the web site BTW,
it would be useful to know what you found confusing so we can
improve our site!!! :)

My opinion is that the new FireGL boards and the 3DLabs boards are
probably your best best for stereo on a PC right now. But, there
may be others that I'm not thinking of. Most of the other boards
I know of are sold as part of a whole workstation system, such as
the HP FX boards, which I don't think are available separately...

Let us know if we can help with anything.