From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 14:04:34 CST

Dear VMD-L,
  We've just made the first version of our struc. bio. software DB
available for use, and I wanted to pass this along to all of you first
since you are such a great user community, providing good feedback and
all!! :-) Let us know how you like it!

  Structural Biology Software Database Announcement
The Theoretical Biophysics group at the Beckman Institute at the
University of Illinois, is proud to announce the public release of
the initial version of a "Structural Biology Software Database".
We have created a web-based database containing programs which are
thought to be of interest to researchers in the fields of structural
biology, quantum chemistry, and bioinformatics.

  The database is still in its infancy, and we are continuosly working on
improving its interface and content, but the initial version is now ready
for the user community to use. We encourage users to send the
developers and moderators suggestions for improvements, and
new application submissions for the database itself. We will eventually
(within a month or two) be releasing the source code to the web-based
database interface and associated setup scripts and administration tools
so that others can create their own software databases to serve
application domains not included in our database. Anyone interested
in acquiring the source code in its present state should send email
to biosoftdb_at_ks.uiuc.edu with this request.
We welcome any ideas or feedback that you would like to share with us.

The database is located within the "MDSalon" at:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Services/MDSalon
or directly via:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Development/biosoftdb

Thanks!!