From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 22:11:05 CDT

Hi Kim,
  We're still running XFree 4.0 with one of the older revs
of the NVidia drivers on our GeForce 2 GTS and GeForce 256
cards, due to problems we had getting the newer drivers to
work on some of the machines. (this way all of the linux boxes
here are using the same rev of drivers etc.. When we get past
the problems we've had with 4.01, we'll upgrade all of our boxes)

If the binary we built doesn't work for you, then your best bet
is to build from source. If you're having trouble doing that,
please describe the problem(s) and send us an email at vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
and we'll help you out. As far as binaries, I am going to try
and make one simplification to our build which will be to statically
link in the GLU library, rather than dynamically link it. This
has been the source of some number of the "linker bug" errors
on some machines, although not the only one. This will remove
one more pitfall from getting VMD working on XFree 4.01.

I'll see if I can get that statically-linked-GLU trick done
tomorrow sometime. If I get that going, I'll make it available
somewhere so those of you living on the bleeding edge can try it out.

If anyone else has tips for Kim on this, or for me for that matter,
please speak up! :)

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 12:32:06PM +1000, Kim Branson wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> has anyone got vmd to work with xfree4.01 and the new nvidia drivers?
> I've got the dynmaic linker bug people have previously reported, except
> all my links seem to be ok.
>
> I'm trying to build from source but no cigar....
>
> the box is a amd athlon 900 with a elsa gladiac geforce II gts.
> card has 32 meg of ram too.
>
> is it worth building from source or can i get the precomplied binary to
> work some how?
>
> cheers
>
> Kim

> Mr Kim Branson
> Phd Student
> Computational Biochemisty and Drug Design
> Biomolecular Research Institute
> 343 Royal Parade, Melbourne Victoria
> Australia
> Ph 61 03 9662 7300
> Email kim.branson_at_bioresi.com.au

Theoretical Biophysics Group   Email: johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute              http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/
University of Illinois         Phone:  (217) 244-3349
405 N. Mathews  Ave              FAX:  (217) 244-6078
Urbana, IL 61801, USA          Unix Is Good For You!!!