From: David E. Jones (jonesde_at_rainbow.es.dupont.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 14:43:06 CDT

John Stone wrote:

> Hi,
> I had read that NVidia (at some point) was considering releasing
> a version of the GeForce that used a PCI interface, to serve the
> same market as the PCI based Voodoo3's that are out there. I don't
> know if this was just a marketing gimmick or if they really did release
> a board with a PCI interface, but I had heard something about this
> anyway. Worst case, if there are no PCI GeForce boards (or none for
> an unnacceptable period of time for you to wait) then I would go for
> one of the recent Voodoo boards. I have heard people mention the
> Matrox boards a lot on other discussions with XFree 4.0, but I have
> no personal experience with those, so I don't know how they compare.
> You could also go with one of the higher end Linux solutions involving
> a commercial X-server. I think Evans & Sutherland's boards have some
> OpenGL support for Linux now, and they are known to be pretty speedy,
> although I can't say whether they are PCI or just AGP-only.
>
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 01:36:28PM -0400, Michael Galloway wrote:
> > hmmm ...
> >
> > this box, based on the intel SC450NX mainboard does not have an AGP slot. i
> > cannot seem to locate a PCI based GeForce board. any know if it comes in PCI?
> >
> > -- michael
> >

> > On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, John Stone wrote:

 One of the scientists at my site bought the PCI version of the 3DLabs Oxygen GVX1
board for his laptop and reported spectacular results. He scored the
 highest benchmarks ever for his software even beating the older SGI PC's and
 SGI Reality Engines. Also, the GVX1 has stereo. I don't think that the
 GeForce board does.

 If you want a less expensive board I think ELSA sells a PCI board based on
 the Nvidia TNT2 chip.

 I don't know if these PCI boards are compatible with Linux. The GVX1
 board was used with Windows 2000 at my site.

 Dave

--
David E Jones
Du Pont Central Research