From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 10:10:48 CDT

Hi,
  My own suggestion for getting the most bang for the buck with running
VMD on a Linux box is to get one of the GeForce 256, or GeForce 2 GTS boards.
We have had some great results with ours so far, and VMD (unlike most games)
is extremely well suited to taking advantage of the hardware T&L on the
GeForce boards. The hardware T&L gives the GeForce a big advantage over
the other boards we've tried so far. The Voodoo boards are probably
the next best choice, although they lack hardware T&L, and would be much
more dependant on main CPU speed. I have no experience with the "xig"
software you mention below, but we have been using XFree 4.0 with
success, and intend to keep using that on the Linux boxes that some of
our group's scientists use.

Thanks for using VMD!

--
Theoretical Biophysics Group   Email: johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute              http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/