From: Kim Foster (kimf_at_owlnet.rice.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 15:58:08 CDT

Hi -

I am trying to connect VMD1.5b on a SGI IRIX6 to a
NAMD2.1 simulation running on a RedHat Linux cluster.

VMD1.5b and NAMD2.1 both seem to be working correctly independantly. Also,
when I run both VMD and the NAMD simulation on the SGI, the connection
works perfectly. However, when connecting VMD to the simulation on the
Linux machine, I get the error:

Error connecting to origin on port 12534

I have checked the port number in /etc/services to make sure the port is
not already taken, and NAMD starts up fine on the Linux machine and waits
for VMD to start. I have tried several different port numbers, with no
success. I have also tried using the IP address instead of the
hostname with imd connect and still got the same error. Is there a known
problem in connecting from machine to machine? I think the two are
opposite endian, will that prevent the connection from working? Any
advice would be great.

Thanks,
        Kim