From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 22:14:34 CDT

Hi VMD-L,
  I thought I'd post another quick note about using VMD 1.5b1
with the XFree 4.0 and the DRI OpenGL capabilities therein.
Now that VMD 1.5b1 is up on the web site, you will see a new
binary distribution called "LINUX DRI OpenGL (Linux with DRI OpenGL)"
as one of the download choices. This is a dynamically linked build
of VMD, produced on a RedHat Linux box running XFree 4.0 with the
Mesa 3.2 RPM installed. In order to run this binary on your own
machine(s), they will probably have to have the Mesa 3.2 RPM
installed in order to get a libGLU.so.1 library onto your
system. If you've got another libGLU.so.1 already there, then
VMD ought to work ok with that.

Once you've got VMD installed on your machine, you can test to see
if you are getting hardware acceleration by comparing the speed of
the regular "Mesa" binaries of VMD against the speed of the new "DRI OpenGL"
binaries. (You can download both, and rename vmd_LINUX in your
install directory and replace it with the vmd_LINUX from the other one
if you want to see how much of a speed difference the new XFree 4.0
drivers are giving you)

Earlier tonight I tested a GeForce256-DDR board with the NVidia
beta drivers, and it performs somewhere around 20 times faster than
the regular Mesa version, depending on the complexity of the molecule
being displayed. (the difference is actually largest for small molecules,
because the Mesa version has an incredible amount of per-frame overhead
which is constant regardless of molecule complexity. When displaying large
molecule with thousands of atoms, the DRI OpenGL build of VMD is probably
only 5 or 10 times faster.)

So, we've now seen VMD run with XFree 4.0 and hardware acceleration on
the NVidia TNT2, NVidia GeForce256-DDR, and 3dfx Voodoo3. If you have
success running the new "DRI OpenGL" binaries of VMD with other cards,
we would really like to hear about it.

Hopefully someone will get a chance to try VMD on the new GeForce 2 GTS
boards on Windows and Linux shortly. This could be a particularly
impressive board because it has per-pixel lighting, which would make
VDW and other reps that use spheres look at LOT BETTER even at low
levels of sphere tessellation. This will probably require a little
tweaking of VMD's OpenGL startup code to take advantage of, but we're
anxious to see it in action.

Again, let us know what your experiences are with this new "DRI OpenGL"
binary we've made. We want the final released version of VMD 1.5 to
be the best yet, especially since Linux finally has good 3-D acceleration
support!

Thanks for your time,