From: Justin Gullingsrud (justin_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 10:25:50 CST

Hi,

I think the command you want is "mol modcolor". This changes the coloring
style of the atoms that are already represented in the graphics form. The
syntax is

The representations are numbered starting from 0, and the molecules are
numbered from 0 in the order they are created. For <style name> you would
put one of the coloring methods that you see on the graphics form, enclosed
in quotes; for example, "ResID", "Pos", and so forth. The only oddball
is "ColorID": for this one you have to add an extra argument at the end of
the command for the color index. For example,

mol modcolor 2 0 "ColorID" 5

changes the _third_ representation in molecule 0 to be colored as color index
5.

beta and occupancy are fields associated with every atom that you can set
to any floating point value; these can be used in combination with
'mol modcolor 0 0 "Beta" ' to color your system any way you want. The
command "display update" is supposed to force a redraw but doesn't seem to
work reliably; I'll look into that. For now, if you enter something like

set sel [atomselect top all]
$sel set beta 0.3
mol modcolor 0 0 "Beta"

the modcolor command will cause VMD to update the display.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any more questions.

Justin Gullingsrud
justin_at_ks.uiuc.edu

--
Justin Gullingsrud         3111 Beckman Institute
H: (217) 384-4220