Re: well-tempered metadynamics deforms the water box and the system becomes unstable..

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 19 2020 - 13:34:20 CDT

Hi Zeynab, in the well-tempered method statistical convergence is
artificially enforced by scaling the newly added Gaussians based not on
simulation time elapsed, but on how many Gaussians have been added at the
same location in the collective variables' space.

The bias will effectively decrease over time, but the exact rate will
depend on how quickly the landscape gets explored: more sampled regions
will have more biasing energy, and their Gaussians will be scaled down more
quickly. So even if you add a new Gaussian on the same spot as the
previous, its weight would be decreased by virtue of the preceding Gaussian
being counted.

If alternatively, you simply want to decrease the weight over time
according to a fixed rate or any schedule of your choice, you may also do
that. For that, I would suggest just changing the weight in the
configuration file. Since you probably don't want to produce many
different Colvars configuration files for each segment, keep just the
variable's definition in an external file (named variable.conf below),
while adding the metadynamics bias directly in the NAMD script and define
the new weight via a Tcl script variable:

# NAMD script
..
colvars on
..

# Tcl commands at the end
cv configfile variable.conf
cv config "
metadynamics {
    name mtd
    colvars var
    hillWeight [expr 0.01*exp(-1.0*${rate}*${ijob})]
}"
where "rate" measures the decay rate that you want to have, and "ijob" is
the numeric index of the job.

Giacomo