Re: SOC: Belgian Rock

Scott Weitzenhoffer (weitzen@alecto.physics.uiuc.edu)
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 12:06:49 -0500

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, jennifer leigh jones wrote:

> So, I have a couple of questions. 1) Does anyone know what I'm talking
> about? Am I thinking of the jitter-bug? But this dance isn't as bouncy
> as I remember the jitter-bug...it actually looks a lot like salsa, but to
> the Glen Miller beat.

When I was in France in 1988, people were doing a dance they called
"rock" or "rock and roll" (say it with a HEAVY Gallic accent!). It was a
swing-like dance, but didn't seem to involve much footwork; it was mostly
armwork, and some lifts and drops.

I saw it again at Cornell when I was taking ballroom there, and my
impression was that it wasn't so much a standard dance, but was just
something that people did, imitating other dancers. I could very well be
wrong, though!

> Has anyone ever heard of Belgian Rock, or is that just what the Belgians
> call it?

The French just call it "Rock".

--
   .oooO .oooO   Scott "Two Left Feet" Weitzenhoffer
   (   ) (   )   two-left-feet@uiuc.edu