Re: Translocation problem while attempting to use ABF

From: Eric H. Lee (ericlee_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 06 2009 - 11:34:11 CDT

Two thoughts here:

1) The rapid movement of your polynucleotide away from its initial
position does suggest either that the system was setup incorrectly, or
you had failed to equilibrate the system long enough before starting
the ABF run.

2) In ABF simulations, what happens frequently is that the system may
get "stuck" along a poorly chosen reaction coordinate where the
movement you are sampling is coupled to slowly diffusing degrees of
freedom. Sometimes this is unavoidable without prior data to guide
the choice of a reaction coordinate (in your case, it looks like you
are choosing a straight line, which might already be the best choice)
- at that point all you can do is continue sampling to overcome that
barrier.

Eric H. Lee
Medical Scholars Program
Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, UIUC
ericlee_at_ks.uiuc.edu