Re: vmd-l: Hardware for NAMD / VMD machine

From: Olve Peersen (Olve.Peersen_at_colostate.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 06 2009 - 13:39:53 CDT

   At the moment we're looking at this as workstation for visualizing
results with VMD, as well as running NAMD and other structural biology
jobs, and not a back-room server. Given the slow disappearance of
hardware stereo capable CRT's, I was thinking of running this system
with a Zalman passive stereo display (alternating rows of left- and
right-polarized pixels), which VMD now supports, and thus I do not
have to go with a Quadro card, although the latest quadro drivers
apparent support this display directly for any program. Also Axel
suggested I jump to 24 GB of RAM, which if I understand VMD/NMAD right
will allow us to load up long trajectories of our ~500 residue protein
in VMD (but it will not greatly affect NAMD calculations that much
because those work in smaller chunks).

   From what John said, it seems to make more sense to just jump to a
Tesla rather than a GeForce card if we really wanted to do GPU
computing. So what do you think of starting out with more basic video
card such as a GeForce 9800GT, 250GTS, or 260GTX for non-stereo
graphics rendering work? Or put another way, if VMD is just rendering
trajectories, how much GPU power does it need? This configuration
should give me enough residual electrical power in the system to add a
C1060 or a headless 285GTX/295GTX in the future as a dedicated GPU
node, and if we go beyond that then we'll be dealing with a dedicated
server configuration.

Cheers,

Olve