Re: I can't keep my pulling directions the same with the SMD vector

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 20 2009 - 08:41:22 CDT

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 11:16 +0300, Mert Gür wrote:
> Sorry I didn't explain my problem properly.
> As you emphasized I divided my reaction coordinates into bins. At each
> specific coordinate (bin), I have to aplly an biasing potential to
> keep it there. For that case I am using SMD and set the velocity to
> zero. So I have an harmonic potential applied along my reaction
> coordinate(x axis). But it does not stay on the SMD vector (1 0 0). As
> you already mentioned it samples also into the other directions (y and
> z directions) which as far as my understanding goes (by reading the
> literature) we don't want. That is why I applied a negligble small

mert,

not in my understanding. if you do umbrella sampling you should
not constrain any other direction but the reaction coordinate.
if your system deviates from it randomly, it should average out,
you just have to run long enough to make sure you are converged;
if it deviates systematically, you have chosen the wrong reaction
path. from all you are telling us, i am tempted to believe that
the latter is the case.

cheers,
   axel.