Re: Dressing up at the Regent

From: James Hearn (jhearn@LINUXQUESTIONS.NET)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 14:23:42 CDT

    Hey John,

    Thanks for the diplomatic and logical response to the initial e-mail. I am extremely interested in learning what could be done to get a ballroom (but with a strong swing/lindy hop focus) established in Bloomington, IL. I drive 55 miles one way to visit the Regent at least twice a week, as Bloomington does not have anything comparable. Do you think that the situation will ever change.

    And yes, I have already e-mailed the mayor of Bloomington and have also had personal conversations with the town urban planner (who is a next door neighbor of mine). All that is needed is a private investor to step forward. Would you know of anyone willing to invest in this town. Statistically, Bloomington has more disposable income than Champaign; however, there is nothing to do here except get drunk in a sleazy college bar or play golf. I do neither. Therefore, I choose to travel to the Regent.

    Thank you for being there for us--Regent Ballroom!

    James Hearn
    --- "Halvorson, Jonathan A (UMC-Student)" <jaha82@MIZZOU.EDU> wrote:
    >Dear University of Illinois Ballroom Dance Team
    >
    > Normally as the state coordinator for USABDA, I just listen in on webring and read everyone's message so I know what is going on, have an opportunity to congratulate your new officers *who from what I hear will do a great job*, and keep track of the dance scene in Champaign for anyone who inquires. However, I feel this definitly warrants a response. The Regent is A TOP NOTCH FACILITY that students in both the states that I am the coordinator for would LOVE to have. It constantly provides a great floor, excellent music, and truly supports the UIUC dance team from all my previous indications. I know that sometimes we have a dressy t shirt and it does get hot out on the dance floor, but please please please try to understand where they are coming from on this. As John Stone so nicely put it, there are other places you can go out dancing and wear a t-shirt. So please continue to support the Regent, because you are extremly lucky to have something that is so nice.
    >
    >Best
    >
    >Jon Halvorson
    >USABDA State Coordinator
    >Illinois and Missouri