Regent Dress Code

From: Husons (cahuson1@INSIGHTBB.COM)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 20:55:09 CDT

    Hello,

    I felt compelled to answer the letter Paul wrote about boycotting the Regent, for I think it is a good thing for people to know the reason Dave has a dress code.  I have discussed this with Dave, and I believe I can give an explanation he would agree with.

    David is a businessman, and any action he takes should be seen in this light.  If he turns someone away he loses the money that person would have paid, so it is not in his interest to just exclude people without a reason.  On the other hand, to stay in business he has to ensure the people who do come enjoy themselves, or they won't come back.

    The salsa dances have always been a problem.  Not everyone who comes to the dance comes to dance, or they come with a chip or two on their shoulder.  Dave has had to call police several times over people fighting in the Regent, and in the parking lot outside.  He moved the dance (originally from 11:30 to 2AM) to 11 to 1:30, because the police require the place be completely shut down by 2.  If the trouble continues he is in danger of losing his liquor license, which would cut into his income from dance nights, as well as cause problems with catered events (he would lose business).  In the last few months car windshields have been broken with baseball bats and if I remember right, at least one shot was fired in the parking lot.

    So how do you make sure the people who come to the dance want to dance?  He could try the theme park solution (Theme parks like Six Flags make most of their money from concessions in the park, not from the gate.  They charge large up-front fees (isn't it something like $40 these days?) not to make money, but to keep local kids from just coming to the park several times a week just to hang around.  Loitering people, especially from rival gangs, cause problems.) But even if he charge more than $4 for the dance, it is hard to charge enough to dissuade gangs from showing up.

    Another solution is to enforce a dress code, so people who want to dance know to dress nicely.  Also, if you're in your good clothes you are less likely to get into a fight and ruin them.

    In either case (charging more or enforcing a dress code) the business will lose some clientele.  The balancing act is to make a reasonable amount of money, keep the police and the neighbors happy, keep the dancers happy by keeping the fights out, and keeping enough dancers coming despite the dress code.

    Of course some people will be unhappy there is a dress code.  But some people actually prefer the people dancing aren't wearing t-shirts and cutoffs, but are dressed nicely.  One might also argue there are t-shirts and t-shirts, those with obscenities and those that have butterflies on them.  Unfortunately though, the rules Dave enforces must be clearly spelled out and uniformly-enforced.  If he lets even one person in with a pair of jeans, anyone else who is turned away has the makings of a dandy lawsuit.  (I watched Dave one evening try to explain all this to a woman who had on a pair of jeans and a nice shirt, who had two companions in slacks.  They could go in, but she couldn't, and she was adamant that she be allowed in.  I felt sorry for Dave that there are some people who are so blindingly-selfish they cannot see anything but themselves, and think the universe should bow down to them in abject adoration....  Sorry, I do get carried away.)

    Dave will lose some business because of the dress code.  He will gain business from people who like the atmosphere of a ballroom that has a dress code, an he will remain in business because the police are satisfied.  On the whole, I think the dress code is doing the job it is supposed to do.

    Now, as for Mr. Patton and his froggie shirts, there are a couple solutions.  He could get a nice shirt, put it on over the t-shirt and leave it open.  I believe that would satisfy the "not a t-shirt" rule, but would let all the women admire the frogs.  Or he could go to the bank and get a loan, open a ballroom, work his tail off for over twenty years making a living at it, and then talk to Dave about how a business should be run.  Maybe then Dave would listen to him.

    Regards,
    Chris Huson

    Chris Huson (cahuson1@insightbb.com)