Re: Dressing up at the Regent

From: James Hearn (jhearn@LINUXQUESTIONS.NET)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 08:50:41 CDT

    Jon,

    Thanks for the tips. I suppose Avantis has good submarine sandwiches, but how often do you want to eat one of those. It depresses me to see that ISU does not support dancing of any kind. There is a very small ballroom in Bloomington. It is run by a semi-retired professional dancer, who happens to be a former student of the Regent. Although a nice guy, he is lucky if he can attract six couples for his International style ballroom classes. He doesn't even have a website. If it were not for the Internet, I would not have discovered the Regent.

    I hope that a future dancing school/ballroom in Bloomington (or elsewhere in Central Illinois) will not teach "International Style" (as opposed to "social dancing"). "International Style" ballroom is too frustrating and tedious for beginning leaders to learn. As a result, they tend to drop out after the first class. Most of us do not want to compete, we just want to learn and have fun! Fortunately, the Regent understands this.

    This is my favorite ballroom. I wish we could get something like this in central Illinois--in Bloomington, due to the central location. It could draw people from neighboring Peoria, Springfield, Decatur, etc. I am not alone when I tell you as a single person, I am forced to leave Bloomington and drive hundreds of miles for quality entertainment.

    WWW.willowbrookballroom.com

    For the perfect ballroom (modeled after the above link):

    Instead of Salsa and Country dancing, add Lindy Hop/Charleston/Balboa classes to attract the "under 50" crowd. Dancing with grandma is fun, but it gets old fast. I have recently e-mailed the Willowbrook and asked them if they would seriously consider opening a second location down here. I hope that everyone reading this will do the same. There is strength in numbers.

    At the very least, it would make sense to get a "Swing society" started at ISU. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help persuade the right people over here.

    Hope to hear from you soon, Jon.

    James Hearn

    PS. And yes--regarding the original issue whether we should be allowed to wear T-shirts at the Regent, grandma would not have it any other way.

    ;-)

    --- message from "Halvorson, Jonathan A (UMC-Student)" <jaha82@mizzou.

    --- message from "Halvorson, Jonathan A (UMC-Student)" <jaha82@mizzou.edu> attached:

    Thank you for choosing LinuxQuestions.