Re: performing SMD in Z using colvar module

From: Jérôme Hénin (jerome.henin_at_ibpc.fr)
Date: Tue Nov 17 2020 - 03:50:14 CST

Hi Geordano,

Your Colvars Module configuration would look like this:

colvar {
  name z
  distanceZ {
    main {
      atomNumbers ... # The moving group
    }
    ref {
      atomNumbers ... # The reference group
    }
  }
}

harmonic { # Define a moving harmonic restraint
  colvars z

  centers -10.0 # go from -10
  targetCenters 10.0 # to 10 Angstrom
  targetNumSteps 2000000 # in 2 million MD steps
  forceConstant 10. # in kcal/mol/A^2
}

For an easier definition of the variable, eg. picking the correct atoms and checking that the values are what you expect, you can use the Colvars Dashboard in recent alpha versions of VMD.

In any publication using Colvars in NAMD, please don't forget to cite both the NAMD paper and the Colvars paper (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00268976.2013.813594).

Best,
Jerome