Re: Error: Number of NGauss expected in AddNewGTOs

From: Pawel Kedzierski (pawel.kedzierski_at_pwr.edu.pl)
Date: Tue Apr 28 2020 - 15:10:01 CDT

W dniu 28.04.2020 o 19:06, Francesco Pietra pisze:
> Hi Mariano
> the QM-MM (NAMD-ORCA) is running well with commands passed from NAMD
> to ORCA
>
> qmConfigLine    "! B3LYP D3BJ SVP RIJCOSX enGrad Opt SlowConv"
> qmConfigLine    "%%basis NewGTO I \"old-ZORA-TZVP\" end end"
> qmConfigLine    "%%maxcore 2500"
> qmConfigLine     "%%pal nproc 34 end"
> qmConfigLine    "%%output Printlevel Mini Print\[ P_Mulliken \] 1
> Print\[P_AtCharges_M\] 1 end"
> qmConfigLine    "%%scf SOSCFStart 0.00033 end" # Default value of
> orbital gradient is 0.0033
>

> However, to my great surprise, the C-I bond length has increased from
> the initial 2A (NAMD MD) to 2.5A, and now to 3A with QMMM. Do you have
> any idea why ORCA is computing the C-I so much wrongly? That part of
> the structure is an iodopyrrole, i.e., the I-atom is at at an sp2 C in
> a five-membered ring.

I do not think this is a bug in ORCA, which is following your
instructions. My guess is that you introduced the problem yourself by
adding a triple zeta basis set for iodine, while the rest of the system
has SVP.

This is one of many possible artifacts introduced by incompleteness of
the basis set. If the basis set is neither close to complete (which is
too expensive even for most of single point calculations, save QMMM),
nor is it balanced, the electrons flow where there are more basis set
functions available. In your case, I think your iodine attracted
electrons so much that it became an anion and there is no covalent bond
any more between it and the (now cationic) pyrrole. You should be able
to find the ORCA output files in the temporary folder given by qmBaseDir
NAMD variable; check the atomic charges and the Mayer bond orders to see
if I'm right.

I would advice using a consistent basis set for all QM atoms, like
LANL2DZ, or maybe MINIX if You wan a minimal one, but it may be some
challenge to find a basis set with iodine and a matching auxiliary basis
for RIJCOSX.

HTH,

Pawel