Re: PMF calculation

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2019 - 15:28:20 CDT

Hello Mahdi, overlapping windows are a necessary condition for a converged
PMF, but are not a sufficient condition. You may very well have covered
the entire region of interest, but if the windows are still equilibrating
the distribution may be smooth, but not be the correct one (yet).

Any error estimate based entirely on the unbiasing method (WHAM, MBAR, etc)
assumes that equilibrium sampling is valid over the entire simulation.
There are some techniques, e.g. DHAM, to try to automatically remove
non-equilibrium effects (as opposed to you manually truncating the
trajectory) but they also assumes that equilibrium is reached before the
end of each window's trajectory. As a corollary, you should take the error
bars generated by those methods with the proverbial grain of salt.

Keep also in mind that the specifics of your system will generate electric
fields that can be longer ranged than you think. After all, I presume you
are not cutting off Coulomb forces at 12 Å but are using Ewald or PME,
right? Only a PMF computed across the entire unit cell should be periodic
at the edges (in the absence of an applied voltage ramp).

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Fiorin
Research collaborator, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD