Re: Constraint failure in rattle algorithm for some atoms, simulation becomes unstable

From: Brian Radak (brian.radak_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2019 - 11:20:26 CDT

1) It doesn't look like you actually did any minimization.
2) I very often find it useful to extend my PBC boundary since poor
wrapping and ragged edges of newly solvated structures can cause bad steric
clashes at the boundary. Usually adding 0.5-1 A in each direction works.
This is due to most solvator plugins (tleap and VMD both) yielding
notoriously under dense water boxes.

Some notes for the community and not necessarily directed towards your
specific problem:

1) There is generally no reason to set xstFreq - unless you plan on using
high frequency box output I strongly recommend not using this *at all. *This
appears to be a bad practice carried over from CHARMM-GUI inputs.

2) Setting high frequency restarts is also a very bad idea and can
*severely* impede performance. restartFreq should really never be below
tens of thousands of steps (the order of a restart every few hours of human
time).

3) IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO ADJUST stepsPerCycle! This probably does not do
what you think it does and its meaning has been incorrectly reported in
multiple places (it's not the same thing as the pairlist frequency). The
default of 20 is almost assuredly the best choice.

4) I don't understand the community's fixation with rapidly heating up
structures (unless you are annealing). I would argue that this is an
obsolete protocol due to the routinely long equilibration times that are
now possible. An exception might be made for crystal structures obtained at
very low temperatures, but this is unusual.

Some other relevant notes to 4:
   -- Make sure you use "reinitvels" after minimization - it is an
unfortunate quirk of NAMD minimization that velocities are discarded.
   -- Setting LangevinTemp near room temperature along with any reasonable
damping coefficient will almost surely heat your system faster than an off
the shelf protocol (even if you start at 0K). You can watch the kinetic
energy time series actually get scaled DOWN by reassigning every ps or so,
even when you intend for it to be scaling UP.
   -- Slow heating a system with restraints also seems pointlessly
delicate. Strong restraints (10 kcal/mol-A^2 per atom!) are going to be
very resistant to normal temperature fluctuations.

BKR