Re: Colvars: Are the derivatives of optimal rotation matrix wrt atomic coordinates applied implicitly?

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2019 - 10:39:20 CDT

Hi Haochuan, those are special cases (yet rather common, as they are
default behavior) when the RMSD is computed over the same atoms used in the
fitting. The fit gradients happen to be zero, because the optimal rotation
is by definition the one that minimizes the RMSD, and the fit gradients are
disabled to save compute time. For eigenvector, it is a more complicated
to justify in a sentence, but it turns out that the fit gradients also
cancel out in the special case when the group used in the variable and the
group used for fitting coincide.

In your new variable, you should verify first that it behaves like RMSD and
eigenvector with respect to this, and only in that case disable the fit
gradients for good. Otherwise, it is probably safer to not disable them
via a hard-coded instruction but leave the option to disable them at run
time, which is always available.

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Fiorin