RE: Dual topology FEP for anions

From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2019 - 09:59:17 CST

Hi Hristina,

There are two potentially problematic areas:

1. Sampling time. Each sample is being run for 1ps based on your inputs. I don't know where your references are coming from, but especially for small systems, sampling times that are 100x longer would be where I start to trust the first or maybe the second significant digit of the result.

2. Probably less of a big deal here since its just in water, but when you are looking at ion exchanges in your protein, the end points are going to be very slow to converge, since the "disappeared" ion will be free to float out of the protein. Usually, in dual topology systems, the shared atoms prevent this from happening, and are why patches rather than full-blown new residues are the preferred approach. For your systems, consider pinning together the appearing/disappearing ions using extrabonds or colvars. There is a bit more reading in the mailing list archive that might be of interest: https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/mailing_list/namd-l.2017-2018/0465.html

-Josh