Re: Binding free energy tutorial

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2018 - 10:20:50 CDT

Hi everyone, I can confirm that the message:
colvars: Error: lower wall and upper wall are equal in the domain of the
variable "Psi".
is obtained correctly, because -180° and 180° are the same angle. In much
older versions, the Colvars walls code was simpler and it was possible to
resolve the error internally by disabling the walls.

The improved version does not allow this as easily, and most importantly we
agreed during earlier private conversations that an error message is more
appropriate than a warning about incorrect input. The tutorial's input is
wrong most likely due to inadvertently pasting the input for a Psi interval
shorter than -180°:180°: this is a type of mistake that we all do often,
but it is easy to fix by disabling the walls.

Jing, please disable the wall potentials for that example, and that will
resolve your error. For more information about the very few example of
syntax changes, this is the relevant section:
https://colvars.github.io/colvars-refman-namd/colvars-refman-namd.html#sec:colvars_config_changes

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Fiorin