Re: Restraining angle between bond vector and coordinate vector

From: Jeff Comer (jeffcomer_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 23 2015 - 18:17:18 CDT

Hi,

Another solution, which is also due to Jérôme, is to use the
"centerReference" keyword to shift the positions so that the second
atom or group is at (0,0,0). Then you can calculate the angle
group1–group2–arbitrary_fixed_axis.

In the example below, I have two groups (atoms 1–10 and atoms 11–20)
and want to keep the vector from the center of mass of atoms 11–20 to
the center of mass of atoms 1–10 along the z-axis (defined by
dummyAtom (0,0,1)). I think this solution may also have problems in
NAMD 2.10, so you'll need the nightly build of NAMD or compile NAMD
with the current version of Colvars as indicated by Jérôme.

colvar {
   name colatitude

   outputValue
   outputAppliedForce

   angle {
      group1 {
         atomNumbersRange 1-10
         centerReference on
         refPositionsGroup { atomNumbersRange 11-20 }
         refPositions (0,0,0)
      }
      group2 {
         atomNumbersRange 11-20
         centerReference on
         refPositions (0,0,0)
      }
      group3 {
               dummyAtom (0,0,1)
      }
   }
}

harmonic {
   colvars colatitude
   centers 0
   forceConstant 10
}

Jeffrey Comer, PhD
Assistant Professor
Institute of Computational Comparative Medicine
Nanotechnology Innovation Center of Kansas State
Kansas State University
Office: P-213 Mosier Hall
Phone: 785-532-6311