Re: problem with water molecules angle in MD simulation

From: Tristan Croll (tristan.croll_at_qut.edu.au)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2015 - 02:43:42 CST

That's a question for someone who knows the guts of NAMD a lot better than I. For the time being, if you're worried about it a simple workaround would be to write an extrabonds file to maintain either the angle or the H-H distance during minimization. Try this in the tkconsole:

set outfile [open extrabonds-water.txt w]

set bondstrength 200

set Hdist 1.598

set water [atomselect top water]

foreach res [lsort -unique [$water get residue]] {

  set thisH1 [atomselect top "residue $res and name H1"]

  set thisH2 [atomselect top "residue $res and name H2"]

  set H1index [$thisH1 get index]

  set H2index [$thisH2 get index]

  puts $outfile "bond $H1index $H2index $bondstrength $Hdist"

}

close $outfile

Then run your minimization with this extrabonds file applied, and remove it for the equilibrium dynamics.