Re: AW: AW: Generating force field for novel molecules

From: Jeffrey Potoff (jpotoffx_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2012 - 09:34:11 CDT

The methodology for developing CHARMM parameters is well described here:

http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/~kenno/tutorial/
<http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/%7Ekenno/tutorial/>

One has to be very careful with automated force field development tools,
including antechamber. There are a lot of "special cases" where
everything looks right (the calculations ran fine), but the results are
totally wrong.

Jeff

On 5/25/2012 1:56 AM, Norman Geist wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if I remember correctly, there was a post to this list about the
> release of a tool called paratool, with it, it should be possible to
> generate force field parameters for charmm and I’m sure there are a
> lot of tutorials for it.
>
> If you read through some papers you will see that generating all ff
> parameters by yourself can however be a project itself and too time
> consuming. Often people only compute the partial charges of their
> molecules with this QM and use the other parameters from publications
> and similar molecules. If your molecule doesn’t contain anything
> special, that would be the best thing I guess. If it is really
> special, you should search for published parameters. Also, if you try
> to generate all parameters from the ground up, you will have to verify
> them in many tests. The bottom line is, generating a full set of
> parameters is too much work, especially for torsion angles if you have
> sugars or similar.
>
> The standard procedure for amber partial charges and ff type guessing
> is pretty easy.
>
> 1.Gaussian/Gamess energy optimization
>
> 2.Gaussian/Gamess electro static potential
>
> 3.Antechamber
>
> 4.Some after work if force field typing mistakes
>
> -> http://www.teokem.lu.se/~ulf/Methods/resp.html
>
> For charm, I would inform about that paratool.
>
> Please remember that you always should know what you are doing. I will
> not help you to only follow tutorials to generate parameters that you
> don’t understand. Quantum mechanics is the base of force field, so it
> won’t harm to know it a little.
>
> Norman Geist.

Jeffrey J. Potoff			  jpotoff_at_wayne.edu
Associate Professor			  Wayne State University
Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science
5050 Anthony Wayne Dr			  Phone:(313)577-9357
Detroit, MI 48202  	                  Fax:  (313)578-5815
http://potoff1.eng.wayne.edu