AW: AW: Generating force field for novel molecules

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Fri May 25 2012 - 00:56:07 CDT

Hi,

if I remember correctly, there was a post to this list about the release of a tool called paratool, with it, it should be possible to generate force field parameters for charmm and I’m sure there are a lot of tutorials for it.

If you read through some papers you will see that generating all ff parameters by yourself can however be a project itself and too time consuming. Often people only compute the partial charges of their molecules with this QM and use the other parameters from publications and similar molecules. If your molecule doesn’t contain anything special, that would be the best thing I guess. If it is really special, you should search for published parameters. Also, if you try to generate all parameters from the ground up, you will have to verify them in many tests. The bottom line is, generating a full set of parameters is too much work, especially for torsion angles if you have sugars or similar.

The standard procedure for amber partial charges and ff type guessing is pretty easy.

1. Gaussian/Gamess energy optimization

2. Gaussian/Gamess electro static potential

3. Antechamber

4. Some after work if force field typing mistakes

-> http://www.teokem.lu.se/~ulf/Methods/resp.html

For charm, I would inform about that paratool.

Please remember that you always should know what you are doing. I will not help you to only follow tutorials to generate parameters that you don’t understand. Quantum mechanics is the base of force field, so it won’t harm to know it a little.

Norman Geist.