Re: ForceConstant in Umbrella Sampling

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2011 - 18:10:40 CDT

Buddhadev,

For what you're asking: K=25, not K/2. But in case you use a
multidimensional colvar, I think you should be aware
of how the force is distributed in multidimensional restraints:

- forceConstant < (harmonic) Scaled force constant (kcal/mol) >
  Acceptable Values: positive decimal
  Default Value: 1.0
potential. To ensure consistency for multidimensional restraints, it is
multiplied internally by the square of the specific width for each
colvar involved (which is 1 by default), so that all colvars are
effectively dimensionless and of commensurate size. For instance,
setting a scaled force constant of 10 kcal/mol acting on two colvars, an
angle with a width of 5 degrees and a distance with a width of 0.5 Ang
will apply actual force constants of 0.4 kcal/mol/degree for the angle
and 40 kcal/mol/Ang for the distance.

Best,
Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                          Voice: 773-570-0329