Re: peptide structure

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2011 - 10:10:08 CST

Dear Ipsita,

The most likely explanation is that the backbone contains stress in its
fixed state, and that upon releasing it the resulting forces are simply
stronger than those of the surrounding system (which at 25ns, I am
presuming is equilibrated). You should ensure that the surface
tension / area-per-lipid of your lipid membrane is appropriate for the
given lipid type, attempting to match known values. If you then release
the restraints more slowly, you may find the 2nd-ary structure is retained.
If not, and you have solid evidence that the 2nd-ary structure _should_
be retained in the environment of your simulation, then there is likely
something pathological in your protein's structure -- check your phi/psi
values, backbone h-bonding patterns in helices and sheets, missing
disulfide bonds or key salt-bridges, etc.

Best,
Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                          Voice: 217-244-1733