Re: AMBER ff system has too high velocities in NAMD

From: Marc Q. Ma (qma_at_oak.njit.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 08:59:31 CDT

Dear Lina,

Did you only minimize 2000 steps? That maybe insufficient. To find out,
you can plot the total energy to see if it is still dropping. If it is,
then you need extra steps. I would use at least 60000 steps for
minimization. Make sure you have a fully minimized system.

Also, as you noticed, turning on rigidbonds will also help with
stability. It makes sense to turn on rigidbonds in biomolecular
simulations.

Other parameters that you can fine tune include the cutoff distance and
switchon distance. Since you are using PME and MTS integrator, which
take care of long range interactions periodically, you do not need a
cutoff distance of 12 AA. A longer cutoff value makes it more time
consuming to compute the real part of the electrostatics forces in PME
calculations. I would make it 6.5 to 8. The swichdist should be smaller
than the cutoff value. If you use 6.5 as cutoff, you may use 2-4.5 as
switchdist -- which is used in the smoothing function for nonbonded
medium range force calculations.

If it still does not work, make your timestep .5 or even .1. This put
you on a super conservative safe side regarding stability of
simulations. Of course this would result in more computer time to reach
desired simulation length, the numerical artificat is much much
smaller. When you get a fully thermalized and equilibrated system, you
may use a timestep of 1 for long production runs.

The last thing I would try is to double your PMEGridSize[X,Y,Z], which
can reduce the numerical error related to PME calculations.

Let us know how it goes. Cheers!

Marc