Re: clustermatic 4 and 5 Namd/charm

From: Gengbin Zheng (gzheng_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 18:52:47 CST

Hi,

Charm++ and NAMD have been tested on clustermatic 4. I have never got a
chance to test it on 5. Also, x86_64 (opteron) make it different with
the previous builds on 32 bit based machines. So I have no idea if it
can compile right out of the source, but you can give it a shot and I
believe there is no fundamental reason why it would not work.

I believe you need to download the latest charm++ from CVS. Since the
cvs server of Charm++ now is closed from outside of campus for some
security reasons, I beileve you can only download the nightly build
source from: http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu/download/downloads.phtml. Please
*wait* until tomorrow to download tonight's version because I have made
couple changes to allow clustermatic build for amd64 machines.

Once you get Charm++ source, compile Charm++ with:
./build charm++ net-linux-amd64 clustermatic
Make sure charm/tests/charm++/megatest works before you proceed to NAMD.

Currently there is no config file for compiling x86-64 version of
clustermatic in NAMD, you can still use Linux-i686-Clustermatic.arch but
change the CHARMARCH to point to net-linux-amd64-clustermatic as you
just compiled in charm directory.

For information on compilation and how to run NAMD under clustermatic,
please see NAMD wiki page:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/wiki/index.cgi?NamdOnClustermatic
you are welcome to modify it to add your tips.

Gengbin