Re: 64 bit G5 plans for NAMD

From: Jim Phillips (jim_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 17:14:27 CDT

Hi,

Apple doesn't have a 64-bit operating system for the G5 yet, so I'm not
sure it's even possible to build a 64-bit binary yet. I would expect the
IBM xlC compiler to provide a substantial performance boost, but we don't
have access to a G5 so I can't confirm this. NAMD builds with xlC on AIX,
so it should be possible for someone (e.g., you) to build a Mac G5 binary
from source and see what the actual performance is.

I've added some more material on the NAMD Wiki at
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/wiki/index.cgi?NamdOnMacOSX
Feel free to add any relevant comments or results there (click EDIT).

-Jim