Re: Dancing in NYC

From: Sriram Shankar (oversway@ACPUB.DUKE.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 09:22:38 CST

Hello everyone..
I only occasionally check on this list from the DI web page for interesting
current news about the DI, and this time I came upon this query about
dancing references in NYC. My favorite response to this is always to look
up another DI alum's web site, that goes by Let's Dance.

Here is the URL to the site.

http://www.ee.princeton.edu/~aria/dancing.html

It contains a comprehensive list of places to dance in the tri-state area
amidst other cities and I have personally found many of those references to
be highly useful.

I personally recommend Studio 54, Stepping Out and I think it is Dance
Manhattan (around Broadway and 54 somewhere). Dance NY is another place I
hear that is rather good. Just across the Hudson to the south, there is
Batista's in Hackensack, perhaps the best place to dance now since they are
opening up a huge floor just below where the older one used to be. And the
dancers here are absolutely wonderful. Further to the west are Brian and
Jennie's on sunday afternoons, whose crowd is also very good and
multiflavored. Then there is Roger's dance studio of the McDonald's. The
floor is great, but the crowd is intimate and it is best you go with a
partner if you go here, or be ready to sit out many dances. But you might
always chance to run into the owners and I did have a great time dancing
with Diane.

I know Tony and Melanie have a studio as well in NY somewhere to which I
have never been and there are a couple of good Fred Astaire chain studios
too that you might want to look into.

I encourage you to look at this stie Sheraz, you might find what you need.

I also saw the DI invitational dance pictures and was overwhelmed by the
new (and some pretty) faces in the club. I noticed that Cory is still in
the fray, as are Jeremy and Scott (unless I mistook someone else for Scott)
- the old stalwarts of the DI. I bet it was as much fun as I can remember
it being, and I wish every year that I could be there just to watch..

I might, just might, be in FL this January (USWD championships?), and hope
to see some of you at Daytona. Let me know if anyone is going, I would
love to meet up earlier and reminisce and dance.

And btw, Scott and Becca - congratulations on the baby. I just recently
saw those pictures too.

Nothing else to add my fellow dancers, have a wonderful week and a happy
holiday season to everyone.

Sri.

Sriram Shankar, Ph.D Box 3808, Radiology,
Rm. 155/161 A, Bryan Res. Bldg, Duke Univ. Med. Ctr.
Research Drive, (919) 684-7886/7804
Durham, NC 27708. (919) 684-7122 (FAX)

Email: oversway@duke.edu, shank003@mc.duke.edu