Re: Running multiple walker metadynamics on Stampede2

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2019 - 12:01:12 CST

Hi Sebastian, you can use namd2 +replicas as you would for a
replica-exchange umbrella sampling run. If you are able to run that
example on Stampede (with some modification) for metadynamics with multiple
replicas you will use nearly the same NAMD command line.

The only difference is that metadynamics currently uses files to
communicate the Gaussians between replicas, so each replica won't know
their index number and you have to tell them using the replicaID keyword
(whose value can be a number or a string). (Note: the multiple-walkers
metadynamics code actually predates the replica-exchange code in NAMD.)
However, similarly to REUS you can use a single configuration file for the
variable and add the metadynamics configuration string in the NAMD script
including the myReplica command:
cv config "
metadynamics {
  multipleReplicas on
  replicasRegistry /shared-folder/mymtd-replicas.txt
  replicaID [myReplica]
}"

In the most recent version of Colvars, this last step is automated by
getting the replica index number internally, so you don't even have to use
myReplica:
https://colvars.github.io/colvars-refman-namd/colvars-refman-namd.html#sec:colvarbias_meta_mr
This change is not yet in the NAMD nightly build (first, the NAMD devs need
to approve other pending changes).

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Fiorin
Research collaborator, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD