Re: Multi-dimensional PMF

From: Jeff Comer (jeffcomer_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2018 - 18:39:37 CDT

Dear Kelly,

If you are interested in the free energy along all five dimensions, you can
usually do 1D ABF (which often helps with sampling along all degrees of
freedom) and reweight to obtain PMFs along other directions. In this paper
( http://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jcim.7b00521 ), we generate a 3D PMF from a
trajectory where ABF was applied along a single dimension. See equation 1.
To do this, you should store a lot of frames or use Colvars to get good
statistics on your other dimensions.

In any case, I do 2D and 3D ABF pretty regularly. In this paper (
http://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcb.7b01130 ), we use a volumetric
representation for the 3D PMF (see Figure 3A), although it's not that easy
to look at. You can either integrate these PMFs into lower dimensions or
take slices out of them. Slices aligned with the collective variable axes
can be done easily with awk, Matlab, etc. We made 2D heat maps using slices
of the 3D PMF (see Figure 3B,C,D). You can also integrate 2D and 3D PMFs to
obtain lower dimensional PMFs (Figure 3F). If the inclusion of the extra
dimensions is to get better sampling along the primary dimension, then all
you really care about is this 1D PMF anyway. In the limit where sampling is
good along the other dimensions in the absence of multidimensional ABF, 1D
ABF and 3D ABF integrated down to one dimension give the same results.

One warning: 3D ABF requires a lot of sampling and larger "widths" than
you'd use for 1D ABF (to avoid having millions of bins). 4D might be
possible...

Have fun,
Jeff

Jeffrey Comer, PhD
Assistant Professor
Institute of Computational Comparative Medicine
Nanotechnology Innovation Center of Kansas State
Kansas State University
Office: P-213 Mosier Hall
Phone: 785-532-6311
Website: http://jeffcomer.us