RE: Multi-dimensional PMF

From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2018 - 14:43:26 CDT

No, I mean figure out what parts of the variables are actually relevant to the transition you are trying to describe and make it 1-D. The pathCV is just useful if you can't entirely get a handle on what *specifically* is changing, but you know that something is, since RMSD to a target hides a multitude of sins. Multidimensional sampling, while technically doable, is expensive to do properly, since the amount of sampling required for convergence is polynomial in the number of dimensions. So 1D is ideal, 2D is doable, and anything beyond is unheard of.

If it were me, I'd use a regular distanceZ on the parts away from the histidines, and just focus sampling on the transition like crazy. This sounds like a selectivity filter for the channel, where the ions tend to dehydrate quite substantially, and you get a hard-to-sample region of your PMF. How long did you run your 1D stuff again? Di Maio et a. (10.1371/journal.pone.0140258) ran for 20ns a window, and while their sodium PMF closes (equal free energies in solution), their chloride PMF does not, and seems to "remember" being dragged across the membrane to start the simulation.

-Josh