Re: About the performance of RAMD

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2017 - 13:14:40 CST

Using /dev/shm wouldn't help: Tcl operations are not slow because of disk
I/O, but because of (1) the intrinsic interpreter overhead, and (2) the use
of tclForces, which processes all atoms serially on the first core. The
use of the Tcl interpreter also prevents using thread parallelism.

You most likely had good performance on a hybrid CPU-GPU setup because most
of the computation is on the GPU, leaving the CPU with more cycles to spare
for the Tcl interpreter.

I don't know if the formalism allows it, but running RAMD through tclBC
(executed by all tasks) instead of tclForces (executed by the first task)
may help. Copying Vlad here for information.

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Fiorin
http://goo.gl/Q3TBQU