Re: question regarding warning.

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2010 - 05:07:39 CDT

dear joyce,

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 5:29 AM, Kwee Hong <joyssstan0202_at_gmail.com> wrote:
[,,,,]

> 4 cadmium ions are actually tetrahedrally bound to my protein. So, I've
> added the below portion into the parameter file to define the bond between
> the sulphur from cystein and the cadmium ion:
>
> SS   CD    0.0000      2.4670
>
> The bond lenth was taken from my literature review. I leave the force
> constant value at 0.000 as I do not find any such value in my literature

if you leave a force constant at zero,
that is the same as not defining a force at all.

> review. I'm afraid that the warning might be referring to this bond length.
> If so, what would be its effect to my simulation and does that mean that I
> would need to make a guess on that value?

there is no need to guess. each force field has
a well laid out set of rules as to how its parameters
are defined. typically, force constants for bonds
can be inferred from quantum chemical vibrational
analysis calculations. in the case of multi-valent
metal ions, however, i would not expect too much
accuracy, since their interactions are notoriously
contain many-body contributions, that typical
biomolecular forcefield only consider in an average
way (as they are not as prevalent in bonds between

cheers,
     axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/