Re: ABF question

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_temple.edu)
Date: Tue May 25 2010 - 20:07:51 CDT

Hi Patrick, as you suggested already "specific combinations of colvars
components", means that a single colvar is built from multiple components,
that are summed together. "oneSiteSystemForce" renders these components
orthogonal for the sake of computing the system forces, for ABF or other
purposes (there are multiple ways to do that, so it's possible to make them
orthogonal by construction). The need to be orthogonal is also present when
there are multiple 1-component colvars (e.g. multidimensional ABF).

Say that for some reasons you have phi and psi dihedrals, which have three
atoms in common. You could define "oneSiteSystemForce" on phi to make it
orthogonal to phi.

Giacomo

---- ----
 Dr. Giacomo Fiorin
 ICMS - Institute for Computational Molecular Science - Temple University
 1900 N 12 th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122
 giacomo.fiorin_at_temple.edu
---- ----